Airflow Resistivity Testing
Material Acoustic Properties
Airflow Resistivity Measurement
Resistivity Meter Model AED 300 plus AED 311 software
Supplied by SINUS Messtechnik GmbH
The airflow resistivity meter AED 300 – AcoustiFlow® allows the determination of the airflow resistance of materials with open porosity on the basis of the direct-airflow method described in DIN EN 29053 (ISO 9053).
This technique requires the measurement of the pressure drop across the specimen to be examined as a function of the volume airflow.
Fields of application
The measuring system may be used for a wide variety of applications, including:
- Quality control during manufacturing process
- cylindrical specimens in the laboratory
- plates of materials in situ without destruction
- Input parameters for acoustic modeling
(see overview measuring systems vs. analysis software)
- Absorber model according to Delany / Bazeley
- Phenomenological Model for open porous asphalts, for example for rating of texture of road surfaces
- numerical software solutions, such as Comsol Multiphysics*
- calculation of insertion loss of mufflers (see software for acoustic design of mufflers Model AED 8001 – AcoustiCalc®
- Optimization in research and development
- of materials with open porosity
- of structures and components
Depending on the application, there are two different specimen holders available – specially adjusted types can also be supplied on demand.
Specimen holder I
- Application: determination of airflow resistance of materials with open porosity in the laboratory
- Specimens: cylindrical specimens with a diameter of 100 mm, as well as fills, fabrics and coverings
- prepared cylindrical specimens of variable thickness are mounted and sealed into the specimen holder
Specimen holder II
- Application: nondestructive determination of the airflow resistance of materials with open porosity in situ
- Specimens: material samples with plane surface of at least 240 mm diameter
- pressing of specimen holder onto the specimen with defined force
- different seals between specimen holder and specimen can be delivered depending on the application
The airflow resistivity meter is supported by the analysis software AED 311.
- determination of airflow resistance as a function of airflow velocity/volume airflow
- computation of linear regression and extrapolation of airflow resistance to airflow velocity of 0.5 mm/s
- averaging of results of various material samples
- simple management and comparability of results by application of database.